Sunday, March 10, 2013

Gardening

I'm hoping to actually get all my gardens in the ground this year on time.  I never seemed to manage it in the past.  But this year, I have a head start.  With the help  (mostly) of my oldest girl, I managed to not only turn, but to actually plant the house-side garden today.  Here's what went into that garden:

Top to bottom:
- 3 Brussel sprout plants
- 4 rows of Kholrabi
- 3 Buttercrisp lettuce plants and 6 rows of seeds for the same
- 2 rows of mustard
- 2 rows of spinach
- 5 1/2 rows of collards
- 6 broccoli plants and 2 rows of seeds for the same

I also turned the soil around the back and half the sides of my shed and put in the started onions I'd gotten.  I also put a few pieces of garlic there as well, to finish out the row.

Then I turned a row of soil along the yard retaining wall and planted another 35 sections of garlic there as well.

I had gotten 2 horseradish roots and put them in a small depression in the yard where a tree had once been (but whose stump had long since rotted away).  I also brought out my comfrey plant and put it in a similar depression about 10 feet away from the horseradish.

The asparagus bed was looking sad, so I had my eldest rake out the leaves, weed it well, and plant the 11 new roots I had picked up.

Next week-end, if the weather cooperates, I plan on turning the secondary garden and putting in the potatoes.  At some point I also want to add some more blueberry plants, blackberry canes, strawberries (as soon as I figure out a better placement for them), a couple more rhubarb plants, and another pawpaw (they do better in multiples).  I had my eldest transplant the raspberry cane that popped up in the asparagus bed over to the berry patch, then had my youngest girl create a special barrier for the young cane so it's not accidentally damaged by unsuspecting people.

Sometime this week or next I'll setup several seed pots to start peppers, tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers indoors to be transplanted sometime next month.

And that's it for now!!  Busy, busy to prep for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment