Monday, March 17, 2014

Hard Cider Reviews: Redd's Apple Ale

So I've decided to start keeping track of the different alcoholic beverages and their tastes along with my overall evaluation.  For no reason than just my own personal uses.  Though feel free to read along!

The first thing I'll say is that I do not like beer, nor do I have much liking for the taste of alcohol in general.  However, I've learned in the past months that there are certain beverages I can tolerate fairly well, and others that actually appeal.  These are the hard ciders, for the most part, plus a few other "exotic" drinks.  Most of these can be found at just about any standard grocery store.  My store has this special, you can purchase a single regular-sized bottle of off-brand drinks for a much reduced price.  You can also mix-n-match these oddities to make up a "tester" 6-pack.  This is what I like to do, because it gives me the ability to try a bunch of different ones.  I simply ran into the problem that I can no longer remember which ones I'd already tried and liked, and those I didn't.

Dilemma solved!  Ya'll get to hear my reviews!

So this first one is not actually my first, though I hadn't noticed it on the shelf before.  There was only 1 bottle of it it the mixers, so I popped it into the pack to try.  The brand is Redd's and this is a 'crisp' apple ale.  Apparently they do make other styles, though I didn't see any other singles.  This one is a clear glass bottle with twist-off cap and red label.  The liquid inside is a light amber in color.  The fragrance is a light apple, not too overpowering.  First taste shows is to be quite light and refreshing, with a slight tingle and bite if held too long on the tongue.  Barely any aftertaste, with no bitterness.

This one definitely wins my seal of approval.  I could certainly see this one accompanying a meal... though probably in an actual glass.  I wouldn't class this as a favorite, but certainly one to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment