Tuesday, May 17, 2016

On Gardening

I find that when people find out that I out in a sizable garden each year and have beehives, I get one of a few responses:

1. "Do you sell vegetables/honey?"

- No, I don't.  I have a large family that loves fresh vegetables and everything I grow goes into their bellies in one form or another.

2. Or worse: "Do you have tomatoes/cucumbers/etc?  I just love them fresh from the garden!  Could I get any of your extras?"

- Same response at  above, with internal eye roll.  My garden and hives cost me money, time, and effort.  Why would I ever give any of it away?!

3. The worst: "Would you mind bringing your tiller over and turning just a small garden for me?"

- Yes, I would.  My tiller is not for hire.  It still takes up my time and gas and most that ask don't even know how to prep the piece they want to turn.  They expect my little tiller to cut through virgin ground and they will instantly grow award winning vegetables with no effort.

So my advice to those that hear that a coworker or friend is putting in a garden is to respond politely and with interest, but don't make demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment