Friday, August 31, 2012

Chickens!!

Well, it's official.  I am completely legal and licensed to own chickens. (insert extreme eye-rolling visage here) According to the new ordinance, I am not allowed to keep males, profit from my birds, keep more than half a dozen, allow them to free-range, or butcher them on my property.  I must maintain them in a coop no larger than 10' x 12' and must have an enclosed space within the coop that is no less than 1.5 sq ft per bird.  I am VERY glad that I took the time to build such an enclosure this year for the turkeys (mind you, the ordinance specifically refers to chickens... no mention of other fowl at all in it!).  I will admit that I do NOT like the restrictions, especially the space limitations and the no-male aspect.  I believe they are overly harsh, especially in light of my having owned chickens for nearly 2 decades in this exact locale.  My neighbors are perfectly accustomed to my birds.  However, I have taken the opportunity to collect some awesome birds.  Marans and Welsummer and Araucanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment