Friday, August 31, 2012

Kindergarten

Yup!  It's that time!  A2 will officially start kindergarten on Tuesday.  We went to meet her teacher yesterday afternoon and took most of her things in to her class so they'll be ready for her.  She met and talked with her bus driver as well.  I admit, it has been so long since I've had a kindergartner that I had forgotten what a regular PITA it is being a parent of one!  Oh not her, she's fine and excited, but the amount of things they put on the parent is staggering!  What, exactly, am I sending her to school for if every day she's going to come home and require more schooling from me?!  Since when did kindergarten become an 8-10 hour-a-day intensive educational course?  I do understand, kids today have a lot to learn in a short amount of time.  Honestly, there's so much for them to learn that there really ought to be another required level of schooling: pre-K, which unfortunately, in this area, is only offered to "special needs" children.  The rest of the normal kids are on their own to learn their letters, colors, numbers, shapes, and alphabet BEFORE they start kindergarten.

The teacher explained that the kids would be learning to read, rhyme (word groups), and write sentences.  She explained that a mere 2 WEEKS would be spent learning colors.  I don't even want to think about how they approach math.  Should I be expecting her to come home one day with addition and subtraction worksheets?!?!?!  Which I will then have to teach her how to complete?  When I was in kindergarten (yes I can remember that far back. LOL) we spent quite a bit of time learning our letters.  A2 has always had trouble with writing.  Recognition: yes, writing: no.  We were also informed the kids will have homework every day as well.  Previously this didn't happen until around 2nd grade.  I suppose the 'honeymoon' is over for kids at age 5!  They start them right off these days!

To top it all off, they were supposed to test her before she started.  I only just found that out yesterday as well.  Another parent mentioned it in the room and I said something along the lines of, "oh, not all the kids are tested," which the teacher refuted, claiming that all the kids are tested.  When I told her my daughter wasn't and that I never received a call for them to do so, she tried to argue with me.  A short trip to the school office confirmed that I was in the right.  I was never called.  No one seemed to know why exactly.  So now A2 will have to undergo a short test after the start of school.  Just to check and make sure she's "ready" to start kindergarten. (insert another extreme eye roll here)

I'm really very glad I spent a good part of our time together last year studying pre-school subjects so she will hopefully be able to keep up with the advanced pace of the class.  The teacher came across as nice, but seriously no-nonsense, which I'm hoping will be good for A2.  She could use a good firm consistent hand.  Being around other kids her age will help matters as well I think.  Perhaps she'll finally realize the world doesn't actually revolve around her.  With her gone in the mornings I'll also have the time to start Bubba on his pre-schooling.  He really needs language development.  It's been difficult for him, not being able to get a word in around A2!

No comments:

Post a Comment